CD Counselor - QHP Required - Hornell, NY
The Chemical Dependency Counselor QHP - provides diagnostic assessments, evaluations, interventions, referrals and alcoholism and/or substance abuse counseling in both individual and group settings with a goal to establish and maintain recovery and relapse prevention. Services occur within the context of a multidisciplinary treatment team approach in a clinical environment.
The position is a Monday through Friday 9:00am to 5:30pm shift
Essential Job Functions
· Manage waiting list and intake responsibilities.
· Completes a comprehensive assessment upon client admission to identify and immediate needs and verify assessment findings.
· Arranges coordinated activities with peer staff, helping with resident clothing and belongings (see bed bug procedures) before or during the orientation.
· Provides orientation to new residents which includes; Rule and Regulations, Confidentiality and Voluntary Participation.
· Performs ongoing assessments of clients' needs, motivations, and backgrounds.
· Provides individual, family and group counseling, therapeutic intervention, and/or substance abuse education classes to clients to assist them in recognizing problems and causal factors related to substance abuse and developing alternative/coping behaviors.
· Develops, revises, and implements treatment plans in cooperation with clients to assist them in remaining substance-free and coping with social, marital, legal, financial, and/or employment problems.
· Meets productivity requirements by utilizing various techniques to engage clients and maintain an acceptable case load which engages and motivates clients throughout treatment.
· Intervene to help provide therapeutic interactions and evidence base practices to foster residents’ social, cognitive and behavioral skill development.
· Effectively utilizes agency’s medical records software program(s) to complete required medical record documentation in a timely and comprehensive manner and in compliance with NYS OASAS and federal regulations including Public Health Law, 42CFR and patient confidentiality policies.
· Collaborate with other care providers and referral sources to increase understanding of client issues and assets.
· Participates as a contributing member of an interdisciplinary team in coordination and delivery of client care.
· Participates in professional supervision and education that supports continuous improvement of client care including weekly case management staff meetings.
· Consistently reviews policies and procedures and stays up to date of current laws, regulations and policies.
· Must retain CASAC 2 Credential
· Performs other related work as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Intermediary knowledge of substance abuse problems and their effects on the individual and family members including human behavior, attitudes, and motivations and their applicability in the treatment/rehabilitation of the substance abuser and/or offender.
· Intermediary knowledge of substance abuse counseling and treatment principles, practices, and techniques and competent knowledge of individual and group behavior including interviewing techniques.
· Familiar with the resources available to individuals with substance abuse problems.
· Ability to recognize symptoms of substance abuse and elicit information concerning underlying reasons for addiction.
· Ability to effectively manage a caseload of substance abuse offenders, conduct substance abuse assessments, write bio-psychosocial assessment summaries, and develop client progress reports and evaluations.
· Ability to accurately prepare and maintain documentation of services, treatment records, and reports utilizing computer databases and software programs including proficiency with spreadsheets.
· Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, volunteers, and the general public.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job duties. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be able to:
· Use a computer including keyboard and mouse operations; visual and/or auditory capacity.
· The employee may lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds
The addiction counselor must be able to prioritize situations and manage time, and may find that they are needed at irregular hours causing fatigue and stress. The Counselor may experience stress and stress related symptoms due to interacting with clients in crisis. S/he may be exposed to illness and unsanitary conditions so must take care to protect their own health. They may also have to manage physically threatening clients and be prepared to be responsible for their own safety, and the safety of others.
The employee is expected to adhere to strict policies/regulations relative to being in a tobacco and alcohol free workplace. Work is performed in an inpatient facility.
Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree with a major in chemical dependency, psychology, social work, counseling, nursing (with a clinical specialty in the human services) or other related field and 3 years of experience in a health or human service agency, preferably in a drug and alcohol setting.
Master’s degree preferred with major in chemical dependency, psychology, social work, counseling, or nursing (with a clinical specialty in the human services) or other related field and 2 years of clinical experience in a health or human service agency, preferably in a drug and alcohol setting.
Must be QHP eligible; CASAC-T, MSW, LMH licensure or certification is highly desirable. Must possess a valid driver’s license. This position is subject to a criminal background clearance.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $18.00 - $21.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Monday to Friday
- Bachelor's (Required)
- Health and Human services: 3 years (Preferred)
- QHP (Required)
- CASAC-T Certification (Preferred)
- MSW Degree (Preferred)
- LMH (Preferred)
- One location