Prevention Specialist (10 Month) - Tioga, NY
Summary of Duties: Under the direction of the Prevention Services Supervisor, the Prevention Specialist (PS) will work with schools and communities in Tioga County to identify existing resources for positive youth and family education and development (collaborations, agencies, media and businesses) to foster school and community level change. Responsible for implementing and overseeing youth advisory committees, SADD CLUB activities, parent and family education/interventions, evidence-based classroom curriculum deliver and support, implement strategies to build community resilience, and engage community resources in identifying strategies for environmental change. Will assist in recruitment and attainment of youth for advisory board and youth-led initiatives, support community data collection processes, and achieving outcome objectives.
Required Qualifications: Demonstrated ability to convene diverse groups and individuals, mobilize them to act, and gain results. Knowledge and experience working with youth, demonstrates cultural competency, knowledge in program development and delivery. Passion for youth and community development. Excellent group facilitation, leadership development, public speaking, and time management skills are essential. Outstanding verbal and written communication and computer skills (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, CANVA). Ability to work flexible schedule including some night and weekend hours. A valid NY State Driver’s License and reliable transportation is necessary for possible daily travel.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Sociology, Psychology, Social Services, Human Services, Social Work, Community Health, or other related field.
Experience: School programming/youth development/community engagement is preferred, knowledge of Tioga County services, needs, and resources a plus.
Required Certification / Licensure: Preferred up-to-date training with Evidence Based prevention programs and strategies.
Hours: 40/week generally 8:00am to 4:00pm with the possibility of some evening shifts.
The days worked would be Monday through Fridays with the possibility of some weekend days.
Salary: $36,000 for 10 months
Required Certification / Licensure: Willingness to be trained in necessary curriculum for program implementation.
Physical demands: May be required to lift up to 50 lbs. and carry 30 lbs.
Duties and Essential Functions:
*Provide leadership to develop and implement/enable after-school structure and processes involving youth.
* Assist in planning and development of youth led coalition
* Facilitate youth members to plan and implement environmental strategies.
* Plan and implement mindfulness-based activities and policies in the schools.
* Develop and conduct trainings and educational presentations for school admin and staff.
* Create and promote a referral system for parenting and family engagement programs
* Facilitate parent/caregiver education programming with families
* Create and deliver presentation materials applicable to adults and youth populations (i.e. fact sheets, brochures, etc.)
* Be a creative member of the team, ready to contribute new ideas, problem solve, and initiate innovative solutions.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $36,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Associate (Required)
- Substance Abuse and Chemical Dependency Prevention: 1 year (Preferred)
- Youth Counseling in Mental Health: 1 year (Preferred)
- Youth Counseling in Substance Abuse Service Environment: 1 year (Preferred)
- One location