Prevention Specialist - Elmira, NY
Under the supervision of the Prevention Supervisor, the Prevention Specialist/ will utilize the Strategic Prevention Framework to work with the community to identify existing resources for positive youth development (collaborations, agencies, media and businesses) for community change, and engage resources in identifying strategies for change and coalition membership, initiate training, support prevention initiatives and track progress. Prevention Specialist also will work with school administration, staff, and community members to assess needs, develop a plan for programs and strategies, and work with other team members to implement the strategies within the community and with families. The goal is to increase protective factors and reduce risk factors to improve the behavioral health of youth, families and communities.
This position is a Monday through Friday 8:00am to 4:00pm schedule, with the possibility of having to work some evenings and weekends.
Required Associates Degree
Field Education, Social Services, Human Services, and Social Work, Community Health or related field.
Preferred Substance abuse and chemical dependency prevention using Evidence Based Programs/Strategies. Work with community coalitions/committees. Additional acceptable experience Preferred: youth counseling in mental health or substance abuse service environment
REQUIRED CREDENTIAL / LICENSE
Required Valid NYS Driver’s License
· General computer skills, including keyboard and mouse operations; visual and/or auditory capacity.
· The employee may lift up to 50 pounds and occasionally carry up to 30 pounds
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is expected to adhere to strict policies/regulations relative to being in a tobacco-and alcohol-free workplace.
Work is performed in a normal office environment and in schools and communities
· Demonstrated ability to convene diverse groups and individuals, mobilize them to take action, and gain results
· Knowledge of and keenly interested in the public health environmental approach to reducing alcohol, tobacco, and other drug related problems.
· Excellent group facilitation, leadership development and public speaking skills are essential with the ability to relate primarily to children of various ages and their parents.
· Ability to make effective presentations to diverse community groups and to work collaboratively with staff across various sites to meet program outcomes.
· Must have strong technology skills, good record keeping and time management skills.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills and familiarity with computer software such as Microsoft Office are a must.
· Energetic about adolescents and education.
· Produce media advocacy and health communication messages, flyers, power points, PSAs
May perform all or part of the following duties
· Implements substance abuse prevention strategies and programming with communities and families. Selects models and media best suited to implement the programs for specific learners. Monitors programs, and adjusts objectives and activities as necessary
· Facilitate family-based prevention programming
· Adapt existing trainings and content to meet the needs of an audience
· Create/compile presentation materials applicable to adults and youth populations (i.e. fact sheets, brochures, etc.)
· Collect statistics and relevant data to meet deadlines as needed
· Comprehend outcomes data and adjust programs accordingly
· Provides education and support to the community and schools for promoting healthy lifestyles and healthy choices
· Develop and carry out plans to measure program objectives
· Acts as a resource person in substance abuse education. Selects, develops and maintains educational resources on health and wellness topics for dissemination
· Plans exhibits and health fairs to motivate their audiences to understand health issues so they can act in ways that promote good health
· Participates as a contributing member of the Prevention Team
· Other duties as assigned
This job description is intended to provide a description of essential job functions that are used in order to assess employee performance. It is not an all inclusive statement of job responsibilities.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $18.50 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Associate (Required)
- Substance Abuse and Chemical Dependency prevention work: 1 year (Preferred)
- Youth counseling: 1 year (Preferred)
- Driver's License (Required)
- One location